A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
- Is at least 21 years of age, (military 18 – 21 years old)
- Has not been convicted of a felony,
- Is not charged with the commission of a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor, or Disorderly Conduct,
- Is not a fugitive from justice for a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor,
- Is not a chemically dependent person
- Is not incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun.
- Has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Disorderly Conduct, Section 42.01, Penal Code,
- Is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun,
- Has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller.
- Has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general.
- Is not currently restricted under a court protective order subject to a restraining order affecting a spousal relationship.
- Has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law in the grade of felony.
- Has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in an application submitted pursuant to Section 411.174 or in a request for application submitted pursuant to Section 411.175.
Direct any questions about eligibility to the DPS website www.txdps.state.tx.us
$69.00 Fee includes all classroom materials and handouts. It does NOT include the range fees ($17.40) and fingerprinting ($9.95) or any State of Texas Fees.
Only have to apply to The State of Texas DPS and pay the required fee, effective Sept. 1,2013
How to get the Process Started:
Go to the REGISTER page on top and fill out the information and then click on the submit button at the bottom of the form, this will reserve your spot in that class. Once you go through the class and have received the Certificate of Proficiency from the class the move on to the next item which is filling out your online application and scheduling of your fingerprints at Morphtrust formerly L1Identity Solutions..
The student must be able to operate their weapon and shoot accurately before attending class, as there is no time allotted for teaching someone how to shoot during the class .
For the classroom portion of the class dress comfortable, keeping in mind that we will also be going to a Firing Range for the Handgun Proficiency portion of the class which has some special requirements listed below. All class materials will be furnished, except for the range portion. A written test will be given at the end of the class.
” YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO SHOOT YOUR GUN ACCURATELY AND SAFELY BEFORE ATTENDING A CHL CLASS”
These requirements may seem strict but it is for your safety and the safety of others.
1. Eye Protection
2. Over the ear hearing protection- muff type- to cover the ear and the area behind the ear.
3. Footwear must cover the entire foot, no sandals or flip-flops.
4. No shorts will be allowed on the pistol range for safety purposes.
5. Wear a shirt with a collar to the range.
a. a Revolver or semi-auto pistol of at least a .35 cal ( A Single action revolver is not recommended).
b. All handguns must be UNLOADED and magazines must be EMPTY.
c. All handguns must be in good working order and have no modifications that will make the handgun unsafe.
d. Laser sights must be disabled for range qualification.
e. All weapons are subject to inspection by the instructor.
f. Be familiar with your handgun, know how it operates.
g. There is no time allotted for zeroing in your handgun in this class
7. Ammunition– NO RELOADED Ammunition will be allowed. You will need a minimum of 50 rounds, as well as additional ammunition should you fail to qualify the first time.
You must qualify with a minimum score of 175 out of 250 on the handgun proficiency test.
TEXAS Dept. Of Public Safety: http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/
Once you have completed your application online it will ask you to make an appointment for Electronic Fingerprints with L1 Identity Services, they charge $9.95 for the printing and you will need your Drivers License for identification purposes. Once they take your fingerprints they will send them to Texas DPS electronically. This greatly reduces the chance of you having to retake your fingerprints.